Thursday, August 23, 2012

Putting A House Together

You would think, seeing as how I've done this at least 10 times in the past 9 years, I'd be better at getting a house together. This time, however, it's proving to be harder than usual.

By now I'd have my pictures up, my office together, and decor picked out for every room in the house. This time, however, I'm feeling so much pressure to get it right the first time as I don't want to have to change it again. I realize that my tastes will probably change and things in the house will get moved (like pictures and statues) but I want it right the first time so that I don't feel like I did it wrong in a month and have to move everything.

My office is still in shambles because I can't decide if I want to keep it as it was or construct built ins for everything. I also can't decide if I want my office in the room it's currently in or if I want to move it to the bigger room down the hall. I can build everything I need for my office, with the help of my handy husband, but I'm not sure how it would work. I think I'd have to change the flooring to either wood or tile so that things would sit flush and I'm not sure I want to do that right now.

My husbands office consists of one long table, a broken down antique buffet that his mother left him, a TV stand without a TV on it, and a filing cabinet. The table used to be a part of a Costco desk that broke during the move, that's holding 2 computers, the printer, and is currently bending in the center from all the weight. He also can't decide if he's going to keep the room he's in or if he wants to move his office into the bigger room in the hall that I'm thinking about moving my office into.

I have piles of pictures sitting on my kitchen table because I've lugged them all around the house, holding them up against the wall, to try and figure out where I want them to go. From the first part of that last sentence I'm sure you can figure out that I haven't been able to find a home for most of them. There's too much wall space, yes I said too much, (not in terms of "my house is too big and I hate it" but more in the context of "I can't fill these walls with anything because I don't have enough hanging decor") in this house and I need to get quite a few of my pictures reframed before I can hang them.

I feel so much pressure, now that we've purchased a house, to get everything right and get it done quickly. Instead I'm sitting here blogging about it. Oh the irony.

(I wish I had some pictures to illustrate my point but my husband has our camera down in San Diego for his brother's Boot Camp graduation and I can't lug around my 21" iMac to take pictures with the web cam.)

No comments:

Post a Comment