Friday, August 10, 2012

Acknowledge Me Dang You

I love going into a store and everyone around you acts like you're not even there. Wait, no I don't. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

My husband and I are in the market for new computers so we stopped into Best Buy. We're really looking to purchase a, or possible a couple, MAC all-in-ones as we've had horrible luck with PCs. We've gotten a lot of feedback from family, friends, and even random strangers that I've conversation bombed at the store. We noticed that the person that was in the MAC section was busy with someone else so we played around with the computers for a couple minutes. Five minutes later these people were still asking numerous, irrelevant, questions regarding computers. OK, they probably weren't irrelevant but they were still taking up the sales persons time. I walked up to a manager and asked if there was anyone else that could help us with the computers and he said "I'm sure there is if they weren't already busy." His comment rubbed me the wrong way but I relented and waited for the sales person to be done with the customers he was attending to.

Twenty minutes later he was checking them out and all I could think was finally. Sure enough he checked them out at the register nearest to the computers, walked up to the service desk to get them a bag, and then REMAINED AT THE SERVICE DESK TALKING TO ANOTHER ASSOCIATE. Seriously? Seriously?

For ten minutes, prior to him walking up to the service desk, I hoovered over him so that he'd at least know that I was there. He didn't even look my way. I guess that should have been a hint that he just didn't care.

As I left the store I announced, quite loudly I might add, that I'd come back when someone felt like acknowledging that fact that I was actually there and that I needed help. Funny thing, the general manager was standing right there and just looked at me like I was crazy. He saw me standing by the computers, 10 minutes earlier, and didn't even offer to help. I'd even approached him while he was talking to another customer. Nothing. I got nothing out of him. He didn't look in my direction, he didn't give my eye contact, and he walked away from me after he was done talking to his customer.

I'm not asking that the sales person step away from the customer he was helping. I'm not asking that someone else do the same. All I'm asking is that you at least look me in the eyes, acknowledge my presence, and tell me you'll be right with me even if you're going to have someone else help me. Is that too much to ask? If I'm asking too much of you then you probably shouldn't be in working in any establishment that requires you work with people.

I am now resorting to travelling 2 hours away from my home, down to Las Vegas, to get help in purchasing my MAC computer because I refuse to return to that Best Buy store for that product. Is that what you want sales person? I don't think so. Guess what, though, you brought this on yourself.

I'm ranting, this is a long picture-less post, and I just don't care. If you're in the customer service industry and you have someone waiting for you, and you're currently with a customer, at least acknowledge that your next customer is waiting. It will make them happy, and you probably won't lose their business to another store, even if they have to wait another 20 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Grr....this is one of the reason I do not shop at Best Buy "Big Box" no customer service store. IT really rubs me the wrong way when I have to put up with that kind of service to spend my hard earned money!
    On the upside, you will so so pleased with a MAC ~ if you are going to an Apple store you are in for a treat, the people that work there are just about the nicest most helpful people ever! There is a learning curve going from a PC to a MAC. I guarantee you will never go back! The Apple web site is most helpful as well. You will never be so happy about spending a little more money on a MAC, the cutover service is top notch!
    It's too bad that more people would not put up with terrible service, then places like Best Buy would get the hint to treat customers like people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found our computers elsewhere and aside from the strangeness I'm really loving it already. When we went to the Apple store they wanted us to pay $400 more for the same computer. I wasn't willing to do that so we visited another store where the computers were on sale. All I could think was Best Buy just lost out on a $3000 sale. Idiots.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that would bother me so bad. I hate being treated like that. I would write a bad review and write a letter to corporate. Let them know how that store treated you.

    I would buy an apple from an apple store. It's a treat. And they are so nice and it's just a nice experience overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only issue I had with the apple store was that they wanted $400 more for the same computer, and they couldn't match the price because it wasn't an advertised sale. I've already written into the corporate office letting them know I was completely dissatisfied with my Best Buy experience.

      Delete
  3. that sucks. though I think it's better to do research online and the go buy the exact model at the store. it's less stressful.

    hope you succeed in getting your computer. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been doing our research for a long time we just had some general questions that we needed answered. We were able to get the questions answered buy an Apple employee but ended up buying our computers elsewhere as they were on sale.

      Delete
  4. I think that Best Buy is in way over their heads and rather than helping people, they seem to want to avoid most people. I saw this on BBN and had to read it, because I actually did a paper on this during college. Except it was about how the way you look and dress affects customer service in stores. The results showed that (hands down), if you dress down, you will not likely even get acknowledged. It's sad, because it really means that stores sterotype on a pretty regular basis. I did my paper on that, because I went into a furniture store in sweats to buy a couch and no one spoke to me for an hour! Ridiculous! Good luck getting a Mac and good customer service! (sorry for the rant)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rant accepted. According to numerous reports Best Buy is going to be bankrupt by 2014. I can see why. They feel like their product is superior and they think far too highly of their Geek Squad.

      The whole furniture store thing, that's crap. I wasn't necessarily dressed up but I don't think I looked that bad. Blue jeans and a t-shirt. I guess I wasn't wearing prada or anything therefore I wasn't worth talking to.

      Delete