Thursday, July 5, 2012

Over Confidence Does NOT Impress Me

I've currently come into a situation where I'm dealing with an extremely over confident person. I, unfortunately, do not see his perspective. No, this man is not my husband, but he is in charge of a lot of my money at the moment. It's my mortgage broker.

When we first started working with him it seemed that everything was going to run perfectly. He was easy to get on the phone, responded to calls and emails, and promised us that everything would work out perfectly. Today, five days before I have to have all information about financing to close (or pull out of) the deal on my new house, I'm wondering whether or not I'm GOING to have a new house. My mortgage broker has been evasive, it's nearly impossible to get a hold of him in any manner, and he seems far too confident in his abilities. He even equated himself to a pilot. Saying that he'd "navigated these waters plenty of time" and I had "no reason to worry that we were so close to our deadline" because he'd "done this many times with great success". It's not the fact that he said he was a pilot and talked about water that scared me it's the fact that, as I said, I'm so close to my deadline that I'm not sure if he's going to be able to pull this off.

Last Friday he explained to me that we'd be in underwriting this week. Yesterday he contacted me telling me there was information missing from my "package". Information that I knew I'd already given him. I had to take time out of my day to find this information and send it to him. Do you know what this means? This means I haven't gone into underwriting yet. This means that they're still not sure if my loan is going to make it through the bank. This means that, even though I have fantastic credit, 20% down, and money to pay off the loan right now, I'm jumping through hoops.

Well then why didn't I just buy outright? Why would I do that when I have the opportunity to continue to build my credit AND have money left over for a security net? I'd be foolish.

His overconfidence in what he does isn't something that makes me at ease. In fact in makes me more nervous. He's so sure of himself that he actually told me not to worry and that everything was going to work out. When I asked him if this is all the information he needed he proceeded to tell me "that's all they say they need but we'll keep in touch". SERIOUSLY? AND YOU DON'T WANT ME TO WORRY??

His over confidence is stemming on cocky and I don't like it one bit. Thankfully he knows that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment