Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Our Story (Pt 3 of 5)



There he was, sitting in the driver’s seat, looking like someone from a street gang. Another thing TJ never mentioned to me, which I should note didn’t really bother me, is that he was a very large man. When we met he was 460 lbs. His arms were as big as my thighs, and that part of him was pure muscle.

I’m pretty sure I looked like a deer in the headlights while I was getting into the truck. His friend introduced himself, we’ll call him T, and we were off. After dropping T, and his son, off as T’s fathers house TJ and I had to find ourselves a hotel room. We stayed right across the street from the Stratosphere in the Holiday Motel.  Before we could get a room we had to put up $10 for a key deposit  TJ didn’t carry cash, he still doesn’t.  Fortunately just up the street was a Wells Fargo  On our way to the bank TJ swung into a strip club just up the road. Uh really, you’re taking me to a strip club and we haven’t even talked in person for more than 10 minutes yet  Oh no, it was much worse. TJ had to pee and can you guess how mortified I was when he whipped it out and peed in the parking lot? I laughed uncontrollably because I didn’t know what else to do.

Skipping ahead, we got the room and started bring our stuff into said room. No sooner had I thought things couldn’t be any stranger, what with the peeing in the parking lot, did TJ pull a shotgun case out of his truck to carry into the room. OK, now I was really freaking out.  I didn’t ask questions because I honestly wasn’t sure what it was for. You’d think I would have left by now, right? Nope, things were really bad at home and even this was better than going back.

After unloading our things we went and picked T back up and started the bar hopping. TJ took me out to dinner every night, bought me roses, and got me so drunk that I’m not sure I remember much about that week  The benefit to being drunk is you don’t hide anything. Neither of us did. I think I learned everything there was to learn about him in just a few short hours. 

Throughout the week T and I split nearly 9 gallons of Tequila. We were at the bar by 9 am and never stopped drinking until we finally passed out. We estimate that, while in Vegas, we spent nearly $10,000 and we didn’t touch a slot machine. That was all alcohol, food, and whatever I wanted. He spoiled me to death.  This brings me to another odd point. Where did all that money come from?  TJ was a tattoo artist but I know they didn’t make that much money. That’s when TJ had to explain his annuity to me. For the loss of his leg he got a set amount of money that’s paid to him, monthly, in small chunks until he turns 65.  He’d been saving for some time to come to Vegas. Meeting me there was just a perk.

When our week was over, and my body had to detox from all that alcohol, I was upset because I didn’t want our time to end. I’d just had the most fun I think I’ve ever had in my entire life. I met an amazing man, and started to fall in love with him, and now we had to part ways and I had to go back to a home that felt like a prison to me.  Or did I?

1 comment: