Monday, June 18, 2012

Our Story (Pt 1 of 5)

I'll start by saying this is going to be a drawn out post because I have this weird obsession with telling the back story. If you're willing to stick it out with me for 5 posts, great. If not, I really wish you would. So, onto part 1.





With most relationships starting online these days, I feel like somewhat of a pioneer with the story of how TJ and I met.

A little back story though.  I was in a relationship at the time I met my husband.  Well, I was in what I kinda told myself was a relationship.  I’d been hooking up with a guy that my uncle set me up with while I was kinda dating a guy in California. We'll call California guy J. 

I met J online and drove to California for New Years, 2003, to meet him.  We spent a week together and I really liked him as a person.  He was emotionally stable, supported my independence, and he had a great outlook on life.  One problem, he was horrible in bed. (This part makes me sound like a horribly vain person when it comes to sex. I was in my early 20's at the time and, have since, grown out of the phase in my life.)  So after our week together, our one-sexual-encounter-where-he-went-limp-mid-pump week, we had a little discussion about a possible relationship but figured we would see how things went when I got home.  Judging by the previous paragraph you can probably deduce that we didn’t last long.  Not even until mid January, if I’m being honest.

Back to the guy my uncle set me up with.  We’ll call him C.  C and I had a tumultuous relationship.  He’d just gotten a divorce and was looking for sex.  I, at the time, was looking for a serious relationship.  I’d been “seeing” C long before I met J.  C and I had a little falling out over the whole sex/relationship debate, before I met J, and we decided that seeing each other wasn’t the best idea.  After going to visit J for New Years I came back, got drunk with C, hooked up with C, broke up with J under the premise that a long distance relationship just wouldn’t work, then realized I didn’t need to be on C’s emotional rollercoaster (after he told me he loved me and I told him I would wait until he was ready for a real relationship) and told him to kick rocks.  

Are you still with me?  Good.

Before E-Harmony and match.com became extremely popular there was Yahoo!, or should I say there is Yahoo!.  When I first acquired internet access at home I found the online world of Yahoo! games and chat.  I would rush home from work, at night, just so I wouldn’t miss the chance to “meet up” with those people that always hung out in the game rooms.  Isn’t that the most pathetic thing you’ve ever heard?  I was at a point in my life that I wasn’t comfortable with myself and going out to a party or meeting up with real friend was like pulling teeth.

Once I got tired of the games, and the games people played in the game rooms, I moved onto the chat rooms.  I don’t so much know if I was there to find someone but I know that I wasn’t particularly looking, if that even makes sense. 

On Feb 12th, in chat room 12, at exactly 12 am (I know this because I always saved my chats on Yahoo!) up popped 25/M/CA.  I took the bait and invited him to a private chat.  Boy howdy am I glad I did.

I’ll end Pt 1 of our story here.  Pt 2, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment