Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Views On V-Day

(Source)
So everyone seems to have their post about Valentines day and I wasn't, initially, going to post anything but here's what I have to say.  Before I get into the meat, or points, of this post I just want to make it clear that I DO NOT condemn anyone for celebrating Valentines day with chocolates and the like.  I, and my husband, just choose to use our money for different things, like anniversary hoodies/jackets.

 - I'd rather receive a candy bar on Wednesday night after my husband gets home from the grocery store, because he knew it was my favorite candy and he thought of me when he looked at it, than receive a box of chocolates and roses on Valentines day.

 - Valentines day is so forced.  By that, I mean, it's a day that society (well not everyone) has told you that you're supposed to think about your loved one and buy them all kinds of fancy things.  Just one day?

 - Everything gets more expensive.  I don't think I need to explain that.

 - Too many people, at least where I live, are expecting something.  Their intentions, if they don't receive what they expect, are horrible.  I heard a girl talking to her "bff's" the other day and, in no uncertain terms, she said that she'd break up with her boyfriend of 3 years if he didn't buy her this watch and that bouquet of flowers on Valentines Day.  Really?  That's horrific, in my opinion.

 - My Anniversary is 2 days before Valentines day.  No, it was not planned that way.  I met my husband on 2/12/2003 without a thought of Valentines in my head.  

 - Fifty percent, or more (I'm just pulling this number out of my butt to be honest) of what you purchase for your loved one/receive from your loved one on Valentines day is either going to end up in the trash, dead, or both.  Cards, in my house, never last more than a couple days.  Flowers die, plain and simple.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts on Valentines day.  I didn't celebrate it before I was married, my husband and I celebrated it a couple times and then agreed never to do it again because it just didn't feel genuine, and we will never celebrate it again.  Like I said in the beginning, I DO NOT condemn those who do celebrate it in whatever way they choose.  It's just not for us.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed... for the most part. =) I hate that people have expectations. Ruins everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I'd never condemn anyone for celebrating in whatever way they choose, I just don't feel the "love" on Valentines Day!!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you, Alicia. I told my fiancee that I don't celebrate it because I want to be loved more than one day a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to a friend of mine the day before Valentines Day and she told me that it's the only day her husband takes her out to dinner. She said something to the effect of "that's men for you" and I couldn't help but think ... no, that's not my man. For some reason your comment made me think of that discussion.

      Delete