Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekend Madness

(I swear I'm not trying to focus on the bad things, like I said I would stop doing, but this is really what my weekend consisted of)

When you look back on the weekend and say "I really wish this could have just been a normal weekend," you know something went drastically wrong.  You also know that when you get contacted by the Police on a Friday afternoon something is more than drastically wrong.



That's how my weekend started.  Friday afternoon, while at Smiths trying to take advantage of their case-lot sale, TJ's phone began to ring.  He looked at the caller-id, looked at me, then back at the caller-id.  He had no clue who it was.  It's never a good thing when you're not sure who's calling you.  He picked up the phone and, on the other end, was The Boy.  (Check THIS POST to find out more about The Boy) 

As I sat in the passenger seat I noticed TJ's face turn quickly to a grimace, and then into anger.  I'm very good at interrupting a phone conversation and quickly butted in with "What's wrong,"  and "Who is it?" TJ, with the phone still pressed to his ear, said "The Boy got caught stealing from the store this morning, I'm talking to the cops now." My eyes opened up wide, my jaw dropped, and no other word than "what" managed to make it's way out of my mouth for the next 5 minutes.  I just couldn't believe it.

See, The Boy has a pattern.  He gets onto a good path for about 2 weeks (which is the last time he seriously messed things up) and then he decides that he's doing too well in life and screws things up.  This one, however, took the cake.

We asked the officer if he would just arrest him and take him to jail since this is an ongoing problem in our home.  Fortunately for The Boy this wasn't his third offense, it wasn't violent, and it wasn't a felony.  They couldn't take him to jail, they could only cite him.  We also had the option to pick him up right then or send him back to class.  I knew, as TJ did, that if we were to pick him up right then we would have had the overwhelming urge to beat him to a bloody pulp.  (Note: This would never actually happen, don't go calling CPS/DCFS on my husband and I)  TJ told the officer to send him back to class and we'd deal with the issue when he got home.  

The store he stole from will be pressing charges, which is what I wanted, and he is not allowed in any of these stores ever again.  If he steps foot on the property he will get a trespassing charge.  Isn't that fantastic?

So, this weekend, that's what I've been dealing with.  Making sure that things like this never happen again is my top priority right now.  Figuring out why it happened, since all he's got for me thus far is "I don't know" and "I was being stupid" is high on the list as well.  He feeds off negative attention so I've got to handle it in a way that will actually get through to him.  Calgon, take me away!

No comments:

Post a Comment